Below browse through some examples of the typical client results and projects I've been involved with over the years. I also invite you to learn a bit more about the specific professional services I offer.
Think you could use my help? Email me today.
(The examples below highlight specific interventions, not the full range of my work over the years for any particular client. In addition, non-public proprietary details have been left out.)
Typical Client Results & Projects
Integrate disparate technology to help launch a new financial service.
"Our debit card program is up and running beautifully and we owe that to you."
Sheri Haynes, President - SLO Credit Union - http://www.slocu.com
Help transition an Internet server farm and proprietary web-based application with minimal business disruption.
"I just wanted to share how pleased and surprised I am that, now that we’ve been self-hosted for a full day, the sum total of complaints/ issues/ bugs that have been reported to me is (drum roll...) ZERO. We absolutely wouldn’t have gotten there without your talent, creativity, and hard work."
Marco Walsh, Project Manager - CreateSpace, an Amazon.com company - http://www.createspace.com
Design and deploy an Internet server farm to help launch a new Software-as-a-Service business.
"Best investment made in my business to date."
Kurt Sorensen, Principal - Inflection Network - http://www.inflectionnetwork.com
Design, deploy, manage, and enhance infrastructure to help a Web-based business to grow and evolve.
"I have known Josh for over ten years, and he is an amazing young man. Josh is bright, energetic, compassionate and highly professional. He has taken care of our 'server' since 1997. I can't imagine having a better person to take care of my business."
Nancy Davis, Owner - Omega Math - http://www.omegamath.com
Help upgrade a mission critical IP network with minimal business disruption.
"Your abilities are without question, but I am also always impressed by your thorough planning and execution."
"I like that you came with a plan on cut-over day which was well thought out and pre-tested. I especially liked that there seemed to be no fallout or unexpected problems (which I always expect), and that things worked basically flawlessly from the get-go. Besides the obvious benefits from the satisfactory completion of the projects, I’d have to say it’s some of your recommendations."
"I really like that you look out for our best interests. As you know, we’ve spent a lot of money with you, and as far as I’m concerned, it was worth it."
John Baas, CIO - SESLOC Federal Credit Union - http://www.sesloc.org
Help establish the foundation for continual improvement in security and functionality and transition a nationwide IP network with minimal disruption.
"I worked with Josh on a fairly large project for our company. We converted 40 DSL connections with servers in our storage closet to a private MPLS network with our servers residing in their data center. The transition went smooth, deadlines were met, and we had virtually no down time for our users. He did a great job assisting us with the planning and implementation of the project as well as creating (stupid routing tricks) to enable us to migrate seamlessly from a public network to a private one without impacting our users. His solutions were creative and have laid the foundation for our continual improvement in security and functionality."
Justin Watty, Associate Director of IT - Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes - http://www.lblp.com
Improve technology team's ability to respond to unique IP network and security challenges.
"Josh has helped us with a security breach and multiple network architecture projects. His work is solid and thorough, and he's easy to work with. We regularly request Josh's help when we have network architecture challenges."
Mark Chester, Senior Network Administrator - LEVEL Studios/Rosetta - http://www.rosetta.com
Isolate underlying causes of poor performance.
"He quickly solved some very technical firewall issues that had other consultants baffled. He's smart, fast, and he possesses a deep understanding of a wide variety of technical subjects."
John Garrigues, IT Director - Dioptics Medical Products - http://www.dioptics.com
Overcome complex and unusual network/telecommunications problems.
"Josh has done excellent work for many years. We hire Josh when no one in our company can figure out complex internetworking issues."
Jeff Buckingham, President - Call America Business Communications - http://www.callamericacom.com
Specialized assistance with Cisco equipment.
"Josh was excellent. I would recommend Josh's services to anyone looking for Cisco expertise."
Allen Mapalo, Chief Technology Officer - TechXpress - http://www.techxpress.net
See beyond the technology.
"Josh is a person that I respect, trust and admire. He has an ability often unseen in the Technology realm to think beyond what's in front of him, beyond the systems and tasks, and see into the people and relationships around him. Josh is an asset to any organization or project that he chooses to play a role and I look forward to future work together."
Tim Williams, CEO and Founder - Digital West Networks - http://www.digitalwest.net
Additional Project / Engagement Examples
- Helped an Internet marketing services company integrate a newly acquired Software-as-a-Service property. We reverse engineered the infrastructure and application then made enhancements to the property, provided their staff with assistance as they learned to support the new platform, isolated and addressed bugs, documented key items, improved security, and kept the service on-line as they launched it to a new market. Technologically the platform was LAMP based (Linux / Apache / MySQL / PHP) running on Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (AWS EC2).
- For a web development firm we analyzed the impact and underlying cause of a client's compromised e-commerce web site. We identified the source of the security incident, assessed the site for further vulnerabilities, and provided suggestions to strengthen against future security incidents.
- For a technology services firm we isolated the cause of recurring WAN outages. Once isolated, we recommended specific changes and implemented workarounds to alleviate the problem until a permanent solution could be assembled. We followed up with the CTO and IT Director, making sure the recommendations and changes were fully understood and that the outages were ultimately eliminated.
- For an e-commerce business we helped them replace a failing firewall while bringing existing firewall software and configurations up to spec and adding redundancy. This included testing and planning out the change work and completing the integration during the maintenance windows. The result was the ability to get manufacturer support for the software and configuration, simplified future software updates (eliminating a complex upgrade process), activation of the originally intended redundant firewall design, access to functionality and bug fixes available only in the updated software and desired by the business, quick completion of the enhancements without hassle or additional staff workload, and minimal disruption to customers.
- For an established technology service provider looking at entering a new market we analyzed the business opportunity along with adjacent areas and provided a strategy to enter the market along with a conceptual back-end technology platform to serve it, enabling the CEO to make an informed decision about how and whether to enter this market and where to best allocate resources.
- For a regional finance services firm we assisted in the enhancement of their disaster recovery preparation, including the design and implementation of new IP network pieces and locations to meet business and auditor requirements.
- For an engineering firm we worked with the CTO to design a new phone / voice services solution, based around an open-source PBX switching platform, saving money and reducing dependence on a single vendor.
- For an engineering firm we helped them redesign their IP network while also relocating to a new headquarters, leading to a transition that was managed with a minimum of work disruption along with increased performance and new services.
- We have worked with half a dozen or so ISPs/NSPs, assisting them with network architecture, peering strategy, operations, BGP, telecommunications analysis, pricing, launching new service offerings, expanding infrastructure to accommodate growth and new business strategies, and troubleshooting performance problems.
- Over the years we’ve provided specialized expertise, second opinions, and implementation assistance to a number of our colleagues (independent contractors, consultants, and technology service providers) who have sought out our help with perplexing issues, unusual situations, and large projects.
- For a number of organizations we have analyzed and documented their existing networks and server farms, permitting improved planning, training, and delegation, speeding up and reducing risk especially when making changes or working with 3rd-parties, to simplify auditor and compliance activities (PCI, HIPAA), to enable sensitive transitions, and to bring a fresh perspective to enhancement initiatives.
"Our debit card program is up and running beautifully and we owe that to you." Sheri Haynes, President – SLO Credit Union
"Best investment made in my business to date." Kurt Sorensen, Principal - Inflection Network
"Your abilities are without question, but I am also always impressed by your thorough planning and execution. Besides the obvious benefits from the satisfactory completion of the projects, I’d have to say it’s some of your recommendations. I really like that you look out for our best interests. As you know, we’ve spent a lot of money with you, and as far as I’m concerned, it was worth it." John Baas, CIO – SESLOC Federal Credit Union
What Others Say (Testimonials)